UT student government pushes for gender neutral housing | News
There's a push for male and female students to be able to live together in UT campus dorms under special circumstances.
The Student Government Association Senate passed a bill to allow gender neutral housing. This would apply on a case-by-case basis to transgender students, siblings and other special scenarios.
Right now, SGA is discussing the feasibility of implementing the proposal.
Student leaders say it's all about inclusion.
"Students overwhelmingly support this and support the idea of making sure students feel included in the university," said Terry Mowell, SGA vice president.
The SGA stresses this is not for couples looking to live together.
UT administration will have the final approval of the measure. This new rule could be implemented as early as next fall.
Upcoming Events near Downtown - UT
Most popular stories from nearby communities
- Elderly woman hospitalized after West Knoxville fire
- The Francis Effect: Ash Wednesday sees new attitude for Catholics
- Clinton man charged with DUI after crashing into school bus
- 5 Farragut Middle students disciplined for playing 'choking game'
- KPD identifies man stabbed multiple times in west Knoxville