Our network

Update: UT fraternity sought to challenge possible penalty one day before 'alcohol enema' incident | News

Title (Max 100 Characters)

Update: UT fraternity sought to challenge possible penalty one day before 'alcohol enema' incident
News, Schools
Update: UT fraternity sought to challenge possible penalty one day before 'alcohol enema' incident

On the day before a University of Tennessee student ended up in the hospital with a blood alcohol level of more than .40 after an alleged "alcohol enema" incident at a fraternity house, members of that fraternity requested a hearing to challenge possible penalties from past problems.

Early Saturday morning, Knoxville police responded to UT Medical Center, where they reported 20-year-old Alexander Broughton was in critical condition with a blood alcohol level of more than .40. Their investigation revealed Broughton had done an "alcohol enema" with wine at the Pi Kappa Alpha fraternity on campus, according to University of Tennessee police records.

Officers responding to the Pike house later discovered paraphernalia related to alcohol consumption along with what appeared to be bags from boxes of wine.

The incident has made national news, drawing a CNN crew to campus Wednesday.

"It has, in some way, tarnished the entire Volunteer family, and we hope to overcome that with the other 27,000-plus students that weren't involved in this, and again, we've got to get to the bottom (of this), but it certainly has given us more than a black eye," said Tim Rogers, vice chancellor for student life.

Rogers spoke to media Wednesday morning as officials released additional documents related to the police investigation.

The fraternity has been suspended for 30 days by its national leadership and indefinitely by the university.

Meanwhile, additional information released by UT officials shows the Pi Kappa Alpha fraternity has been in and out of trouble since 2008 when the most serious violation in recent history occurred.

In January of that year, members of the fraternity hazed pledges and did not cooperate with university officials in the ensuing investigation. That led to a suspension - the most serious of the university's three possible disciplinary actions - for the spring semester along with a social probation over the summer and for the fall and spring semesters of the following school year.

The following spring, in April 2010, University of Tennessee police officers responded to a call of an intoxicated person and performed a walk-through of the Pike house, where they discovered empty beer cans inside. The fraternity was placed on disciplinary probation for the summer and fall of that year.

Then, while still under probation, in October 2010, Pike was disciplined again, this time, after members stole Halloween decorations from a home on Cherokee Boulevard and placed those decorations on the front porch at the fraternity house, where they were later spotted by the homeowner. Officials placed the fraternity on probation again for that fall and spring 2011.

Later that fall, in August 2011, a student found a female unconscious on the front steps of the fraternity house, and it was reported that she had consumed alcohol there. Members reportedly provided false information to officers, and Pike was placed on probation for that fall and the spring of 2012.

Then, last month, the fraternity was in trouble again after UTPD officers responded to an alarm at the Pike house. Upon arriving, officers said several people set down the alcoholic beverages they were consuming and ran from the house.

Possible disciplinary action is still pending as it relates to this recent incident, and university officials had met with fraternity leaders three times this month to discuss the matter. Then, on Sept. 21, the Friday before the alleged "alcohol enema" incident on campus, the fraternity requested a hearing to challenge the university's penalty recommendation of one semester of disciplinary probation.

Meanwhile, Broughton's father, Mark, has spoken out to say that a "large part" of what has been reported to the media is false. He declined to go into further detail pending his own investigation.

He did say Wednesday, however, that he takes issue with a conversation between a KPD investigator and student, which was documented in the UTPD report. In it, the student initially refuses to cooperate with police but then later reveals that the "alcohol enema" led to Broughton being taken to the hospital.

Mark Broughton told 10News that that student was his son's cousin, who only arrived at the hospital to help Xander Broughton, and "categorically denies" revealing to police any information related to the alleged incident.

Previous story:

A University of Tennessee student who ended up in the hospital after an alleged "alcohol enema" incident at a fraternity house on campus was in critical condition and showed signs of physical and possible sexual assault, according to a report from the University of Tennessee Police Department.

Campus officials released several supplemental pages to the original police report Wednesday morning and held a press conference.

The move comes in response to an investigation that began early Saturday morning after 20-year-old Xander Broughton was brought to UT Medical Center with a blood alcohol level of more than .40, according to a release from the Knoxville Police Department.

One of the four people who took Broughton to the hospital initially was not cooperative with UT police, according to the report. Eventually, however, the student admitted to a KPD investigator that Broughton's condition was caused by "butt-chugging" wine at the Pi Kappa Alpha fraternity house and described that as "inserting a tube into the anus and then funneling an alcoholic beverage rectally. 

When officers responded to the Pi Kappa Alpha, or Pike, fraternity house, they found beer cans, alcohol paraphernalia, and a plastic bottle that appeared to be from the interior of a wine box on the outside landing of the building, according to the report.

Inside, they found several people passed out and seemingly under the influence of alcohol. Officers also found several bags from wine boxes strewn about as well as an air soft pistol, which was taken into evidence.

Officers issued 12 citations for underage drinking, plus one more for disorderly conduct.

The report describes one student initially refusing to sign his citation but later conceding upon the threat of arrest.

Another student initially lied to police about drinking, saying he was on probation in Memphis. He's described in the report as having a "panic attack" and was seen by medical personnel. He was not transported to the hospital, however, and did not receive a citation.

While officers were on the scene, the president of the fraternity arrived on campus. In the report, he's described as appearing intoxicated but claimed he had no knowledge of what was happening. He was seen talking on his phone several times, and when officers learned he may have been advising other members of the fraternity to "stay away from the house," he was asked to put away his phone. He did so reluctantly, according to the report.

Wednesday morning, Tim Rogers, UT's vice chancellor for student life, addressed the media on the allegations.

He said he was disappointed in the allegations, especially given that the alleged incident happened less than two weeks after officials had met with the presidents of most of the fraternities on campus to discuss and address a recent spike in alcohol-related incidents on campus.

Rogers said, while the incident has certainly given the university a "black eye," he stressed that the allegations are certainly not representative of the majority of Greek students on campus.

News, Schools

Downtown - UT Businesses